It is my great pleasure to welcome new and returning students to the University of Miami Libraries. The UM Libraries rank among the top 50 academic research libraries in the United States and support the full range of research, teaching, learning, and clinical care activities across the three UM campuses (Coral Gables, Virginia Key, and Downtown Miami). Our libraries provide extraordinarily broad and deep print and electronic resources in all areas of the sciences, engineering, medicine, arts, humanities, and design.
Highlights of developments at the UM Libraries this academic year:
- The new Learning Commons consultation zone will open in a renovated space on the Richter Library’s first floor in late fall. Although construction work is currently in progress, all Learning Commons services will continue to be available throughout the renovation period. The Digital Media Lab provides support for the Adobe Creative Cloud software applications suite, now available to all students and faculty free of charge.
- The new Kislak Center at the University of Miami, housing the departments of Special Collections and University Archives, is under construction in the Richter breezeway near Starbucks. The Center will open in January 2018.
- A project to greatly expand private, silent study space on the Richter Library’s fifth floor is being assessed.
- More areas for group study are being created on the second floor of the Louis Calder Memorial Library. Work is anticipated during the fall semester.
- The Paul Buisson Architecture Library will soon feature a new reading lounge.
Student participation and input, including advice provided by the Student Government academic council liaisons, have driven the Learning Commons and fifth floor renovation projects at Richter Library. We are pleased that you view the UM Libraries as a key resource for your personal academic growth and development.
Whether you are looking for a location for group collaboration, in-depth research assistance, technology support, academic services such as those provided at our new Learning Commons, or just a quiet place to study, our UM Libraries faculty and staff look forward to seeing you at one of our six locations:
Coral Gables Campus
- Otto G. Richter Library (Interdisciplinary)
- Paul Buisson Architecture Library | School of Architecture
- Judi Prokop Newman Information Resource Center | School of Business Administration
- Marta and Austin Weeks Music Library | Frost School of Music
Medical Campus (Downtown Miami)
- Louis Calder Memorial Library | Health Sciences
Rosenstiel Campus (Virginia Key)
We wish you an engaging and successful year!
Dean and University Librarian