Supporting Scholarship, Creativity, and Innovative Learning Across the University
Ensuring the Libraries’ continued excellence
The University of Miami Friends of the Libraries, a library support organization, was founded in 1960 by a group of University of Miami faculty, alumni, and community leaders. The Friends play a vital role in supporting programs, securing gifts, and funding projects for the Libraries and are instrumental in ensuring the University of Miami remains one of the foremost research institutions in the world.
Community members interested in books, libraries, and learning are welcome to join the Friends of the Libraries. Members are invited to special events such as lectures, exhibit openings, and behind-the-scene tours.
Friends of the Library Benefits
Access/Registration Requirements: A library permit will be granted upon presentation of a current Friends membership card at the “Patron” ($100) level or higher and valid photo identification with a current address. All levels of Friends have access to the library building and collections.
UM Libraries Borrowing Privileges:
Requires annual Friends membership at the $300 “Sustainer” level or higher
- General collections: Limit of 10 books: 2 week loan with 1 renewal; subject to recall
- Audiovisual collections: Limit of 3 DVDs , videos, or CDs: 7 day loan with 1 renewal ; music CDs: 3 day loan ;
- Bound periodicals: no borrowing privileges
- Digital Media equipment: no borrowing privileges
- May request available items for delivery to designated UM Libraries circulation desk
- May recall and place holds on items checked-out to others
- Fines: $.25/day for books ; $2.00/day for recalled materials not returned as requested; $1.00/day for DVDs, videos, and CDs. Lost or damaged materials will be billed at replacement value (typically $75). Borrowing privileges may be blocked if items are not returned on time or fines not paid. See Fines Policy for details
- Use of Richter Library stand-up computer stations for access of the Library web site and catalog
- No remote access to licensed electronic resources
- UM WirelessCanes Guest access
- No use of scanners or digital media equipment
Printing and Photocopying:
Print & photocopy services are provided by UPrint
UPrint Guest Cards may be acquired at the Richter Library Circulation Desk and funds added using the Card Machine near the library printers. This machine may also be used to add funds to a Cane Express account using a CaneCard.
Print / Photocopy Fees:
- Color: $.10/page
- Black & White: $.05/page
- Walk-up consultations at the Richter Library 1st Floor Information & Research Services Desk
Additional Restrictions (Services and resources not available to this user group):
- No use of Group Study Rooms
- No use of Information Commons computers
For more information, contact the Circulation Desk, Richter Library, 1st Floor, 305-284-3233, firstname.lastname@example.org.